A geriatric care manager is a professional who specializes in assisting older adults and their families with long term care arrangements. Care managers have extensive knowledge about costs, quality, and availatrlity of services in their community and can connect you with the services which will be right for you or a loved one.
Services provided by geriatric care managers include:
- Individualized care-planning assessments to identify issues and need for services
- Assistance with development of a comprehensive plan of care which meets the needs of your specific situation.
- Guidance in anticipating and planning for future needs.
- Assistance in evaluating eligibility for benefits and referral to appropriate legal/financial professionals.
- Assistance with implementation of the care plan, including in-home assistance or relocation to retirement community, group home, nursing home, or other living setting.
Benefits of Care Management ServicesThe benefits of utilizing care management services are many and may include:
- Personalized services, either short-term or ongoing to meet your needs.
- Accessibility (24 hour availability).
- Continuity of care management.
- Cost effectiveness: the care manager's knowledge and expertise can help you avoid costly mistakes by carefully matching appropriate services to client's needs.
Selecting a Care ManagerThere are a variety of agencies which provide Care Coordination or Geriatric Care Management. In selecting the agency you wish to work with, you may want to ask about the following:
Staff Training and Qualifications
- What is staff's educational and work background?
- How long have they been providing ca t management services?
- What are their professional credentials and affiliations? (National Association of Professional Geriatric Care Managers, etc.)
- Is the agency free-standing care management agency, one which also provides other services and/or part of a health care network?
- What are the referral relationships with other service providers?
- What are the rates and fee structure?
- Does the agency receive payments from other sources?
- Sodexo Senior Services
- Caring Communities
- Hamlin Capital Management
- Presbyterian Foundation